3 But I, Nephi, have written what I have written, and I esteem it as of great worth, and especially unto my people. For I pray continually for them by day, and mine eyeswater my pillow by night, because of them; and I cry unto my God in faith, and I know that he will hear my cry. 4 And I know that the Lord God will consecrate my prayers for the gain of my people. And the words which I have written in weakness will be made strong unto them; for it persuadeth them to do good; it maketh known unto them of their fathers; and it speaketh of Jesus, and persuadeth them to believe in him, and to endure to the end, which is life eternal. -2Nephi 33: 3-4-

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

WEEK 1

FINALLY IN ARIZONA 

So this week has been long, crazy, wonderful. I'm still waiting on my MTC comps to send me pics but until then I took a couple here. 

Day 1: We we didn't sleep the night before because we had to be at the bus to take us to the train station at 3 am. Our zone surprised us and helped us with our luggage. All the guys were crying! It was crazy! We didn't know we were that loved! Lol

Anyways, getting to the airport was an adventure! Me and Hermana Hortal (My companion) got dropped off at the train station in Provo along with 60 other missionaries. We had to take all our luggages and catch a train at 4:20am! The train took 1hr to take us to the other train we needed to catch. While on the first train we met the guy that helped design the Preach My Gospel manual, he bore his testimony about how it came about. It was beautiful! He also works on the Liahona and created the Cover and organized the content for the missionary handbook. His name is Gigy or something like that. Anyways after alot of stress and falling luggages, helpful polynesians, we got to the airport. I was in charge of four 19 yr olds. It was interesting, I felt like a stressed out mom lol. 

Finally arrived to Phoenix- The mission president was waiting for us with the Assistants to the president (AKA ap's which are missionaries) along with a senior missionary couple. They drove us straight to the Mesa Arizona temple which was SOOOOOO BEAUTIFUL!! We visited the visitors center and got a tour, watched a video, then left and went to the Mission Home. It was in Scottsdale 20 min away. The landscape here is soooo beautiful! We got to his house where there were several other senior missionaries and we ate Cafe Rio that was catered, and then got a 45 min. nap.

After we woke up it was a busy afternoon. We took pictures, went to 3 training classes and took a driving exam. After which we finally had another girl arive from the Mexico MTC her name was Hermana Ereckson, she's from SLC. Around 6pm they took all the new missionaries to the park and we had to go "Contacting" it was a pretty fun experience but I still need more practice. 

Then we had dinner and the Elders slept in the mission home and me and hna. Ereckson walked to one of the sister missionary's apartment down the street. The first night was a little hard because I had really bad culture shock. I felt like I didn't fit in.... BUT  I said a prayer and felt better. I slept on the floor but it was some of the best sleep ever because I was so tired!

Day 2: Area Assignment

So day two was just as busy as day one but much more nerve wrecking. President had told me during the interview the day before that I wouldn't be assigned to a Spanish speaking area. Which sucked because all of my scriptures and study materials were only in Spanish. So I'm still in the process of getting new sets.

-Assignment meeting happened....My companion/trainer's name is Hermana Lopez! She is probably the best trainer that I could have ever had! She's half white half Mexican but I'm teaching her Spanish. She is extremely nice, considerate, and knows how to do things RIGHT! She does not cut corners with the rules so she'll be a really good example for me. I'm still slipping up here and there lol.

SOOOOO MY ASSIGNMENT IS AMAZING AND SOMETHING THAT HAD crossed my mind but i didn't think was a possible one. Druuuuummmroolll pleaseeee..... So I will not be Spanish speaking but i do have a new language to learn. I have been assigned the the FORT APACHE RESERVATION! So I'm supposed to learn as much Apache as possible. We are 4 1/2 hours away from Scottsdale up in the White mountains. It's crazy, it's like a whole different world here! President told me he only gave me this assignment because of my hair color and skin color. The locals don't like the "White man" as much because of past history.  

It is so culturally rich over here I love it! I'm very excited to get started. We are basically secluded from the rest of the mission. They have 2 reservations in our area, mine (White mountain Apache reservation) and another nearer to Scottsdale which is the Pima Reservation with the Othem Indians). I will most likely serve my entire mission at both because president keeps the missionaries at those two since the locals get attached. I've only been here for 2 days but have already realized this is the area assignment everyone wants because it's way different from normal proselyting in Scottsdale. The natives are so humble, loving, and look to us as an example. There are 1,000 MEMBERS on the reservation but 80 percent are inactive, so most of our work is focused on inactive members.

I Sleep in a trailer with 3 other sisters, we share a room. Next door to us is the elders trailer and they have 5 elders in there. We live in the church lot....it makes things a lot easier. Most of us have really nice jeeps here but the zone leaders have trucks. I'm told the members don't feed us as much so we have to combine our monthly allowance for us to afford the food. 

So far it's been amazing, it feels like a completely different country. The people are very different but very nice and loving....especially to missionaries. They don't mess with us because they see us as "servants of The Lord" and since they believe in bad spirits they would rather not get the Karma.  
 One of the best parts is that when we teach the Apache's about the Lamanites and the Book of Mormon.... THE APACHE'S ARE ACTUALLY DECEDENTS OF THE LAMANITES!   ^-^
My pday this week was Wednesday because it was a transfer week. Starting now it will be on Mondays. ALSO VERY IMPORTANT:  Since we are secluded in the mountains 4 hours away from Scottsdale we only get mail once every 6 weeks :(. At least the temperature is cold here though! It actually snows here in the winter.

Love you guys! I'm sending some pics!

 (They girl in the light blue is my Companion/trainer)

(MTC comps- I miss them so much!)
                                       


                                ( My companion/trainer Hna Lopez at the trailer and "The Lords" Jeep lol) 

No comments:

Post a Comment